This assignment asks Why am I blogging, what is the interest or focus. The reason I am blogging is I think life is interesting. Despite challenges, there are ways to be emotionally fit to handle our troubles. When life is falling apart, there are some things we can do to change our circumstances and live fabulously. There are times we are helpless in our circumstances. Men, women, teenagers, victums of abuse, everyone is capable of making a difference in their life and that of others. My blog is devoted to the betterment of our personal lives with adjustments to the habits and routines we keep.
The Harvest in our Life. A farmer knows when to plant his fields. His routine and schedule must be diligently adhered to if he is to recieve the bounty that is anticipated. A farmer cannot be happenstance regarding his goal. The planning, is exacting. A farmer whom procastinates is a poor destitute farmer. A farmer whom waits for the perfect day, or perfect conditions is a farmer whom will not reap as others in his community.
How is the Harvest in our life? Can we reflect a farmer’s attitude with our habits, routines, short and long term goals?
June is running by, and half the year is now behind us. What do we still have to do? Is there anything we wanted to accomplish this year?
It is a good time to refer back to our Goal List for the year. Three areas I like to consider
- Health and Fitness Goals.
1. Health and Fitness Goals: Let us expound on the most typical goal for the year, Health and Fitness. Each year we get older and even young people are experiencing health problems. We will not even discuss the newfound issues with healthcare and insurance costs. The high monthly costs of mandatory insurance is causing many to avoid visits to the doctor because of high copays and deductibles. If there was not a good enough basis for a healthy diet and regular exercise, there is more motivation now.
We have one body, and our health we must seek to protect it. Wise choices, no extremes are necessary. Fruits and vegetables never go out of fashion and are readily available in most markets. It only takes moments to use a regular blender to make a nutritious cool drink. Would you like to know my recipe for a quick tasty fruit smoothie?
One I have been using for literally decades is, I will call it:
Fruit Frapp by Gina @ fatfitanfab.com
one serving recipe: 6 oz orange juice, (not from concentrate), or 6 oz of water. a banana, a peeled apple, and one cup of frozen berries. Put in the blender, put on for 40 seconds to a minute an a half. If you do not want to use a bannana, you can substitute a cup of fresh-cut papaya.
The banana or papaya give the drink a smoothness like a shake. The frozen fruits may have raspberries in which do have seeds. They remain like seeds. I just swallow them. If a person has digestive issues like diverticulitis the seeds may bother them so you may choose just a strawberry/blueberry mix.
Be careful if you have diabetes or blood sugar problems. Only you know if you can have citrus, some medications are a problem. As I am not a doctor or nutritionist, I am only sharing a recipe which helps me to get my vitamin C, other vitamins, and natural fiber.
I like to make vegetable smoothies in the late afternoon before I start making dinner, that I can sip which can get the edge off hunger and be quite satisfying. My cardiologist did recommend simply having a V8 each day. I do not have a great tasting vegtable smoothie that is quick to make. I do like spinach, a clove of garlic, a handful of fresh parsley, two carrots, and a celery stalk with the leaves. I do use a pinch of salt because I naturally have low blood pressure. Then I blend in my regular blender.
Responsible self-care involves regular exercise. With all the responsibilities people have in their life it can be a real challenge to cull out the time to take a walk, or take a bike ride, or use an exercize machine. Yet, it is relaxing, destressing, and exhilarating. Not only can it help us to maintain our weight, it can help prevent us from gaining more weight if that is our objective. If our objective is to lose weight, than exercising daily with a plan can help us reach our goals. I had ankle surgery on my right ankle in the beginning of February. It all seems so slow to heal. Both ankles have each had two surgeries. As much as I want to take off and go for a run, or go for a walk it is just not reasonable at this point. I purchased a bike and I have been striving to go for a ride a few times a week. The heat is unbearable for daily rides and I am unfit. Should I call myself unfit? Maybe that is harsh to label myself as unfit since I do regularly do daily stretching and isometric exercises in my home. OK, I will accept the congrats! for maintaining my regular stretching and isometric exercize program for decades. The exercizes I do help me to deal with chronic pain associated with lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis. I have a lot of muscle spasms and nerve pain. The exercize helps me to feel that I am taking responsibility for what I can control. The exercize benefits me also because I like to have a scoop of ice cream, and I have diabetes, therefore, exercize keeps the sugar manageable.
Each health situation is different, but so many suffer. If we take some time to consider our own situation, and start right away to manage our health before more serious problems develop. Not only can we keep our healthcare costs down, we may feel better.
2. Relationships: Relationships affect our peace of mind. The relationship we have with our creator, with ourself, with our loved ones and if we are employed than we have our social relationships. Can we improve all these relationships?
The relationship a person has with their creator can affect how they also feel about themselves and how they live their life and the consequences etc. I have no more to say on that subject. It is worth considering privately.
The relationship we have with ourself is very complicated indeed. So much of how we feel about our-self is deeply rooted from our conception, our upbringing, the family situation, the make up of the family dynamics. Some come from secure family situations, that is very rare these days. Some of us are very wounded from broken homes, lack of security, an absent parent, and some experience abuse. All these factors shape us. Yet, we do not have to be defined permanently by any of these situations.
Earning a healthy esteem is a very valid concept that I have lived by for decades. We may remain sensitive or fragile. Yet, I think of a flower that appears to be fragile, sure, someone may be cruel and pull some petals off. If the flower is left alone, it can even go thru a thunderstorm with high winds and still remain beautiful. Someone may pull our petals off, but we must remain rooted in what we know and what we can do. We can bloom again and if necessary, we can be the seed that blows in the wind, and be rooted elsewhere. The sun, the rain, will come again. A positive attitude and hope are fortifying.
When I went thru some health dilemmas this last year, the effect had a stifling effect on me. I felt incapable and unable. I quit writing, painting, making bread, and sewing became a rarity. Cleaning the bathroom mirror I wondered if it was done right. No one was doing this to me, and I cannot blame anyone. The doctor whom helps me with my life management skills regarding my attention deficit, he helped me to realize that something was rooted in my youth. He said, “OK, you do not want to blame anyone, you do not want to blame it on something in your youth, mistreatment you endured. Yet, you do acknowledge you were not in ideal circumstances to grow a healthy esteem, you did not feel safe, and your accomplishments were met with disfavor by those whom should have been proud of you. If you can accept this, you can move on. You can find a new way to respond to your accomplishments.” Of course, I did not have a tape recorder and it may not be a perfect word for word account. That was the basic jist of it.
To get thru all of this, I kept the habit of making my Master List for the month and the week. I referred to them often. A book from the Library on Productivity that I referred to in one of my previous published articles suggested that when I make my TO DO List that I leave room between each to put a couple of actions that are logically needed to accomplish the task. This really helped me to get more done. Feel Good Feeling! My friend Mattie has an infectious cheer about her and giggle. She is all about giving yourself a cheer when you complete something. I am trying it, and it feels good. My husband John likes to stand back and look at what he has done, you can see his pride well up even with the smallest of accomplishments. I use to look at him in wonder when I would walk up and find him doing so, in fact, because I did not understand it, I thought it was downright silly and it made me a bit uncomfortable. Over the years, I have slowly come to understand this gift.
Did you know that at the end of each day of creation, our Great Creator would say “It is Good!”. We are made in his image. So if we know we worked hard, and we did our best, I believe it is healthy to feel “it is good”! My relationship with myself is greatly improved, and I am sewing again. If we can possibly have a healthy esteem, we can then be healthy to be in a relationship with. Our relationship with our mate, family, children, and work mates can be healthier if we are more positive to be around. By having a healthier diet and exercise program, a healthy attitude, we can have healthier expectations of others too. Nurture those relationships respectfully. Each person is subject to the law, and each person is protected by the law. If that is remembered, then abuse would be uncommon.
Last night I saw true love. A couple with their toddler entered the diner where we were enjoying a meal. The man was lovingly affectionate and obviously proud of his lady and the child. He was quite handsome. She was quite obese and unkempt. It likely had been a hard day for her. Yet, this man loved this woman, and she knew it. I was greatly touched.
3. Domestic, no I am not talking about domestic beer. It is where we live, what we drive, and where we spend our time, and how we manage it all. Half the year is gone, there is some warm weather maintenance we can do on our home, car, and property. Have you made your punch list? I want to get into the car and do some deep cleaning, and it is not just because I turned a to-go container of spaghetti upside down in the back seat of the car yesterday. I was already planning on a thorough detail clean of the interior of the car, now it just seems more immediate to do. Thankfully, my caring husband got the spaghetti spill cleaned up, but I do feel I need to do that thorough cleaning in the next day or so. Light colored car, little spots could be anywhere. This time of year is a great time to clean the garage, and have a garage sale or donate your goods. Fix your bicycles and use them. Plan a trip to the zoo, or keep cool in a museum, visit family, or go away for a long weekend.
John got some weatherstripping done on all the doors last week. Our lovely old yellow cat, PUFF, has already scratched up the new weatherstrip on the front door. I am going to do a smelly hairspray on the lower door frames after I rub a little essential oils on the weatherstrip. We still need to get some exterior painting done. There is a list. I am eager to get the windows clean. As I am zeroing in on a room at a time with the deep cleaning, the last thing I do in the room, the final touch is cleaning all the glass, which includes the windows. Doesn’t it make everything look good.?
Attention to these three areas can give pretty quick improvement in many areas of our life. We can already feel better about this year and all we hoped to achieve. We live in a very demanding and often insecure world. Gently, yet, effectivly gaining more control over our health, relationships, and domestic situation can give us a sense of accomplishment resulting in a healthier esteem. June may be gone by,…we still have a half year to fulfill our goals.
Overniight, we have gone back in time, and moved into another month. Whom says the days are shorter, If our days are shorter, how can we make more of our time? We may have gained an hour.
There are four ways we can get more of our time. If we are depressed or discouraged about darkness descending on our day earlier we must come up with an alternate routine.
1. During this time change why not go to bed an hour earlier, and get up an hour earlier. What can a person do with an extra hour in the weee mornin’ hours? An exercize plan can be easily achieved with the extra time. Domestics, chores, laundry, can be managed more efficiently when done earlier in the day when working an established period of time. It makes the feeling of accomplishment and optimism a more common occurrence.
2. Getting ahead on paperwork, taxes, etc. is great evening work. Put some good classical music on and organize your paperwork. So many put off paperwork and get extensions when this last quarter is a great time to get a jump on it.
3. Free classes online are offered in as many fields as you can imagine. These long nights are a tremendous opportunity to learn more in your field or another. If you have been interested in a particular subject and have not had the time, now is the time. I saw a class from Yale on architectural history, and one from Harvard offering Drawing lessons. You can learn more in the career you practice or you can learn what you need to change careers.
4. Do not put off your creativity any longer. Are there projects you have been needing to finish? Give yourself a couple weeks to work on some of these cast asides and clear them off your to do list. You will quickley discover why you invested in the material you purchased and the time you already have put into the projects. Have you wanted to learn a new hobby or craft? There are many instructive videos online. Painting, sewing, writing, woodwork, Bible study, and knitting are all activities that are productive and inspiring. Many are learning hobbies and crafts to enrich their life. The winter months make it possible to have an evening a week to spend at the local library. Most Libraries have activities and social events scheduled, look them up online and see what you might enjoy.
If you have been yearning to get something done or you have put off learning something new, these longer nights or early mornings are a great way to get more done while ending the year with a sense of fulfillment.
It is a hold up, anything that interpheres with a well laid out plan. There are a few kinds of hold ups. Some we can do something about, and some it seems we cannot do anything about.
Painting behind the dryer and utility sink before we hook the utility sink up has been a hold up. For whatever reason two years have come and gone and my husband has gone without his sink. It was suppose to all be done this weekend. I have not been able to fulfill my goal of doing the work, and am going to try again tomorrow. Unexpected errands, unexpected visits, and phone calls changed my day completely.
One reason for a hold up is when you have to wait on others to complete some aspect of the work. Whether it is making the time to complete a task or it is money that is needed, it can seem daunting waiting for the perfect circumstances. If we are waiting on someone to do the work, it can cause stress in the relationship and affect the respect we feel for the other party. It can be a power issue within the relationship. It is destructive at times. It can be considered nagging to be forced into bringing up the subject. We see a person going off for a good time or doing this or that, and time runs by, before a person realizes it, it can be months and then years that go by.
Many are stressed by having a shortage of time or energy to do these secondary jobs. It is good to consider hiring someone, or asking a friend, or trading someone for the work. It will take the pressure off, and get something done. No one really wants a splinter in their relationship that causes irritation and pain. There are times it is a matter of pride, some refuse to hire or delegate to others and keep an unhappy situation going. That injures the relationship and peace in the house.
Today was a series of hold ups, that interphered with my planned work. I felt unable to change the situations, and I felt stressed. There were other things that were unexpected but relaxing and rewarding. Sometimes, we have to go with the flow and readjust the plan. It is life, and we cannot control all things. We must work with it. Do not give out or give in, try again.