This assignment asks Why am I blogging, what is the interest or focus. The reason I am blogging is I think life is interesting. Despite challenges, there are ways to be emotionally fit to handle our troubles. When life is falling apart, there are some things we can do to change our circumstances and live fabulously. There are times we are helpless in our circumstances. Men, women, teenagers, victums of abuse, everyone is capable of making a difference in their life and that of others. My blog is devoted to the betterment of our personal lives with adjustments to the habits and routines we keep.
writers and artists
Live now! Do not wait to LIVE your life.
Does time pass you by? Life’s responsibilities keep us busy enough. Yet, a sneaky thief may be invading your life. It steals valuable time that could be used for more rewarding activities.
Consider these ten rewarding activities, then find out the thief you may be mindlessly aiding.
1. Productivity: Productivity requires time set aside to reach goals. Using our time wisely gives us the reward of something tangible.
2. PERSONAL ORGANIZATION: order of our enviroment, finances, and diet require good habits that are routine. Instead of seeking fulfillment from shallow pursuits which take money an time. Using our time wisely to get things done causes us to feel more accomplished. When our enviroment is organized an less cluttered we are free to be creative.
3. Exercize: making time for a daily walk or going for an exercize class a few times a week is very satisfying. This investment pays off in a few ways including the possibility of staving off weightgain, controlling our blood sugar levels, and having our clothes fit better. A workout three times a week can help us maintain. A workout 4-6 times a week can help us to lose weight with a sensible diet.
4. Food we take in: Well planned meals can give us energy, save money, and improve our health. The other day I saw my thin friend eating a salad while she was sitting in her car waiting on someone. I was impressed by her forethought. Another friend whom is losing weight packs a little cooler an takes it everywhere, when we meet at the donut shop she is snacking from her pack.
5. LIMITS: People feel so threatened by LIMITS which are boundaries. Limits can be a protection. Excess of anything can be costly.
6. Social Activities: Making time to do something with your mate or children is essential for healthy bonds. Inviting aquaintences, extended family members, etc., to go to the zoo or museum can build lasting relationships.
7. Take time for yourself to replenish: Daily Bible reading and prayer have done much to empower a person to make healthier choices in their life.
8. Plan Ahead: By having a yearly, quarterly, bi-monthly, monthly, and weekly goal plan can help make life more rewarding. Including areas just discussed in this article in your plan can change your life.
9. Living your Dream: What have you dreamed of being or doing? Whether it is learning carpentry skills, educating yourself about photography, learning to do great sauces and gravies from scratch. It is important to view these as relaxing activities so they will no longer be put off to imagined better circumstances that may never come. I did not know I would be in a car accident that would make it so I could never play golf. I sent my children for Golf lessons, I should have been getting them too. You may be waiting to write that book or take the cooking class or joing the crochet-knitting group at the senior citizen group.
10. Sleep: Try to get some sleep on a schedule. Consider your natural circadian clock. Are your activities circumventing your natural rhythm?
The thief revealed: Time, how you spend it. Do you imagine your relaxing is coming home to watch the television? Playing games on your pad or cruising the net for a couple hours. Messaging is the greatest interupter. I saw a person having a nice run whom stopped to check a message. If we are cleaning the garage or doing housework, writing, cooking, exercizing, crafting, doing personal bible reading, or enjoying social activities we are rewarded by protecting our focus. More people complain of problems focusing which interpheres with accomplishment and satisfaction. Electronics have their purpose, yet, without limits can bring our lives to ruin. We overspend, we have no time to exercize, eating less mindfully, looking at our phones during a fine meal provoking jealousy, our domestics are harder to manage, and taking time to learn a craft or hobby becomes a distant thought. Do not let an aid become a thief in your life. See what adjustments may improve your life.
November Has Arrived
Overniight, we have gone back in time, and moved into another month. Whom says the days are shorter, If our days are shorter, how can we make more of our time? We may have gained an hour.
There are four ways we can get more of our time. If we are depressed or discouraged about darkness descending on our day earlier we must come up with an alternate routine.
1. During this time change why not go to bed an hour earlier, and get up an hour earlier. What can a person do with an extra hour in the weee mornin’ hours? An exercize plan can be easily achieved with the extra time. Domestics, chores, laundry, can be managed more efficiently when done earlier in the day when working an established period of time. It makes the feeling of accomplishment and optimism a more common occurrence.
2. Getting ahead on paperwork, taxes, etc. is great evening work. Put some good classical music on and organize your paperwork. So many put off paperwork and get extensions when this last quarter is a great time to get a jump on it.
3. Free classes online are offered in as many fields as you can imagine. These long nights are a tremendous opportunity to learn more in your field or another. If you have been interested in a particular subject and have not had the time, now is the time. I saw a class from Yale on architectural history, and one from Harvard offering Drawing lessons. You can learn more in the career you practice or you can learn what you need to change careers.
4. Do not put off your creativity any longer. Are there projects you have been needing to finish? Give yourself a couple weeks to work on some of these cast asides and clear them off your to do list. You will quickley discover why you invested in the material you purchased and the time you already have put into the projects. Have you wanted to learn a new hobby or craft? There are many instructive videos online. Painting, sewing, writing, woodwork, Bible study, and knitting are all activities that are productive and inspiring. Many are learning hobbies and crafts to enrich their life. The winter months make it possible to have an evening a week to spend at the local library. Most Libraries have activities and social events scheduled, look them up online and see what you might enjoy.
If you have been yearning to get something done or you have put off learning something new, these longer nights or early mornings are a great way to get more done while ending the year with a sense of fulfillment.
Freeing up My Creativity
Stifled, blocked, overwhelmed, cannot focus, stagnation, these are some terms or phrases used by writers or artists of all sorts.
Many things can interfere with our productivity in our creative ventures. Some common things are stress in life and anxiety. Just a lack of control could rob us of focus. Living within our means, and not overextending ourselves socially can help us to regain some of the control. I love the July “Awake” magazine on Control. It gives some excellent points on regaining some control of our life. Find it at jw.org
What I would like to address is something I have been all too slow to learn. I have missed out on the benefits of this great quality because I was what you call a free spirit. For decades I lived with the free as the wind mentality of creativity. I lost a lot of years that way. It cost me a lot in all aspects of life. First, I never had a healthy self esteem. In fact, caring for myself I just did the basics, in some ways I was extremely neglectful. This was such a wreck less way of living that goes with this creative mentality. In fact, a friend asked me on the phone a few months ago, “Are you still a train wreck?” I did not quite know what he meant, and it did not feel so good to consider that I may have been viewed that way. Some would say, “Oh, that is the artist in her.” I was impetuous, creative, easily moved.
I drew up some construction documents for an artist and her husband, she had designed her own home, when I went by for a visit, I was surprised at how beautifully organized she was. Her studio was immaculate, I asked her about it, and she said “I am a productive artist and I get big dollars for my work. I have to be organized.” That left a heavy impression on me. It has still taken decades to understand and put it into practice. Oh, the years I have lost.
A friend of mine is very productive publishing poems, books, and painting landscapes. Every Tuesday like clockwork she is painting another picture. Diane adopted three children with handicaps. Her home is tidy and clean.
Here I have been a free spirit and what do I have to show for it? A lot of creativity that was never realized. Dreaming the years away. Many projects never started and more projects still not finished. For the projects I have finished I am very proud of them. Over the years I have gotten into a pattern of actually finishing things. Yet, I have so much more to finish.
What I have learned, that is the most valuable thing I could ever impart is the necessity of having a schedule, having a routine and good habits. If my workroom is unorganized, how will I feel motivated to go in there and get a project made. Some may tout about how they do not mind a messy workplace, but it does not look good to others, and it does interfere with productivity. My workroom is untidy again and it happens so fast. I enjoy working in there putting things away. I feel free to do more when I can see my measuring tape where I always put it, when I can grab the scissors from the drawer, and a space is clear in which to work.
The whole house is important, keeping the refrigerator clean and well stocked, so we can keep ourselves healthy and strong. By keeping the bathrooms clean and laundry done these are all things related to caring for ourselves respectfully. How can I have self respect, or expect respect if I am not living respectfully?
My home is still in great disarray. Yet, I work hard to obey my daily schedule, yesterday was clean the bedrooms day, and all I could do was some dusting. I have this double hernia I am getting operated on next week. I have absolutely no stamina and I hurt. It felt good doing the little I did do. The day before was clean the bathrooms and utility room. I got one bathroom cleaned well and a load of towels washed. I could not do the other bathroom. Just making the practice of good habits and carrying on the routine gives me courage and hope that it will reflect well in the coming months ahead.
The benefits I am now seeing is that by practicing a domestic schedule I am freed up to be more creative. And by doing the schedule I am earning a bit of esteem that I am accomplishing more. This fuels my creativity. I find I am starting and finishing more like this blog, and other small projects I have around.
Habits and routines are essential for the creative person whom wants to enjoy the fullest satisfaction with a greater productivity.
Quit dreaming and start producing, this is the Art of Living. The most important thing I have learned is that being an artist, I have to make the room in my schedule and make it a routine being creative. I cannot afford to be haphazard with something so valuable. It has become more purposeful and truly delightful.